North Mackay Real Estate - Mackay Real Estate
IN THE MONTH BEFORE YOU MOVE:
- Scout around for tape, marking pens and sturdy boxes.
- Confirm your date of moving.
- Have a thorough clean out. Organise a garage sale, or donate unwanted goods to charity.
- Ensure all your furniture, appliances and whitegoods will fit into your new address.
- Start using all the frozen and canned foods you’ve been storing.
- Prepare an inventory of boxes, and a list of essential items you’ll need on moving day.
- Organise a furniture removalist if necessary.
- Check your ingoing inspection sheets (if renting) and start cleaning and gardening.
IN THE FINAL DAYS:
- Contact utilities and organise final gas, electricity and water meter readings.
- Organise utilities those you will require at your new address too.
- Organise to discontinue telephone services lines (remember international lines you mayhave more than one), Foxtel/Optus, TV connections and your internet service provider.
- Complete an Australia Post Mail Redirection Service Application to redirect your mail toyour new address.
- Cancel local arrangements such as lawn-mowing services or newspaper deliveries.
- Return library books and videos, collect any outstanding items such as dry cleaning etc.
- Have a final clean-out, defrost and clean your fridge and freezer.
- Inspect your new address and organise any necessary repairs or maintenance eg steamcleaning.
- Continue your final inspection cleaning.
ON THE DAY:
- Ensure valuables remain safe or with you at all times.
- Check all cupboards and storage areas.
- Mark boxes of essential items (like your kettle for that well deserved cuppa!)
- Complete final cleaning and ensure you leave the premises as close as possible to thosenotes on your ingoing inspection report. Remember lawns and gardens, general weedingand professional carpet cleaning.
Tips for Getting Organised
- Ask local bottle shop retailers or supermarkets for smaller spare boxes.
- Consider using clear plastic storage tubs, as they are cheap, the contents are easily
identifiable, and they are waterproof.
- Hire a trolley for moving heavier items to save time, and your back!
- Wear some garden gloves to protect your hands
- Place dissembled furniture parts in a bag and tape to item (eg wheels)
- Remove the plate from your microwave and tape the door shut
- Pack frozen foods in some ice in an esky.
- Park sharp tools and utensils carefully with plenty of padding
- Tape butchers paper – not newspaper – over shiny surfaces to prevent marking.
- Try to pack heavy things in smaller boxes and lighter items in larger boxes
- Tighten the lids on jars and bottles of food and toiletries
- Distribute books out evenly amongst boxes as these are the heaviest
- Move boxes to the room closest to the exit before the day.
- Mark each box with the room it is intended, and mark boxes of storage items.
Spread the Word
Remember to ensure everyone can still contact you once you’ve moved on. Below are some of those you may need to advise of your change in address.
- Friends and relatives, of course
- Sporting clubs and community groups
- Your employer and/or education facility
- Banks and credit card companies
- Tax office
- Electoral commission
- Insurance companies
- RTA (driver’s licence/registration)
- Keep a record of your mail to ensure you haven’t missed anyone.
And one last point, my wife reminded me. Make sure the oven is clean, it is one of the first things the next people will check.